I’m getting an increasing number of requests to write for us here at Uncorked Ventures. Most get turned down flat, but sometimes it’s an interesting business and an interesting enough article. This comes from a “competitor”. The folks at Block 78, sell wine in Australia and while that would be an awfully fun export market (hat tip guys….need any California, Oregon or Washington wine for the shop?) it isn’t exactly a place we can ship to tomorrow. So, below is their founder’s thoughts about the health benefits of red wine.
Surprisingly Unexpected Health Benefits Of Drinking Red Wine
Wine is consumed for pleasure every-day by many people right around the word. With its pleasurable taste and its alluring smell, it’s become a common afternoon or pastime drink that both men and women love and enjoy. However, did you know that while you may be drinking red wine to relax, you’re also receiving some great health benefits as well? Yes, it’s true! For those who aren’t aware, this expert guide will give you an idea of the surprisingly unexpected health benefits of drinking red, wine in moderation, of course. Let’s get started.
Red Wine Health Benefits You May Not Have Known About
- Resveratrol Health Benefits
In red wine, there’s a natural chemical that’s found in the red grapes that are used. This chemical is called resveratrol. Over the years, resveratrol has been known to provide many health benefits when consumed in moderation. Some of the health benefits you can expect from the resveratrol in red wine include, but isn’t limited to:
- Improved cardiovascular function with the protection of the arteries endothelial lining. This helps to keep blood circulating as it normally should be.
- Helps to lower the risk of cancer with its ability to reduce oxidative stress. This can help with preventing premature aging of the body’s cells.
- Improved mental functions with its ability for supporting proper function and creation of cells in the brain.
- Blocks nf kappa b production. Nf kappa b is a noxious inflammatory agent that can harm the body.
- Improved weight loss by helping to turn white obesity producing fat into good beige fat that is able to burn a lot easier.
The resveratrol in red wine is very beneficial to your health, but it’s important to only consume it in small amounts at a time.
- Helps To Promote Regular Heart Function
Red wine can also help to promote healthy heart function and to reduce the risk of arrhythmias from occurring. Why is this you ask? Red wine contains a lot of potassium which is a mineral that’s well known to help with regulating the heartbeat. When the body is low in potassium, the heart tends to work harder to beat which in turn causes it to skip a beat or to cause the common PVC heartbeat. Along with regulating the heart. Improving low potassium levels by drinking red wine can also help to ward off other symptoms associated with this condition including:
- Depression (low potassium levels have been linked with sadness and depression)
- Breathlessness with the inability for the heart to pump properly.
- Tingling, numbness, and the onset of paralysis in very severe cases (however you should seek medical help immediately if you begin to feel paralysis of the hands or legs.)
- Vomiting and nausea
- Muscle cramps
In consuming a small amount of red wine daily, you’ll have the chance to maintain optimal potassium levels within your body.
- Optimal Teeth Health and Protection
Red wine contains high amounts of fluoride which is well known to help with protecting teeth. The high amounts of fluoride in red wine can help to fight tooth decay, improve bad breath, and prevent cavities from forming. It can also help to lower the risk of:
- Bitter tastes in the mouth
- Gum swelling and infection
- Painful chewing
- General tooth pain discomfort while eating
Fluoride is a powerful preventive mineral that is able to help you maintain a healthy mouth overall. Who would have thought that red wine was so good for your teeth!
Red wine, while used by many as a common afternoon drink, can provide you with more surprising and unexpected health benefits than you may have imagined. As you can see above, there’s many advantages of drinking red wine, however, always in moderation. So, are you going to have a small glass every afternoon after work?
David is a wine professional with over 20+ years of industry experience. His love for wine has seen him travel and work in various locations throughout Australia, a four-year stint in the USA and a lot of trips to New Zealand. He spent eight years with one of Australia’s largest retailers before working for the fourth largest wine producer globally; he is the owner of Block78 an Australia online wine company based in Australia. If he could be a wine, it would be Shiraz!